The 68th Ave NE Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements project is one of several included in the City of Kenmore's Walkways and Waterways program, an improvement bond measure that was approved by Kenmore voters in 2016. This project will include:
- Construction of 1.5 miles of new sidewalk on one side of 68th Ave NE from NE 182nd St to 61st Pl NE
- New bicycle lanes in each direction
- Upgraded street lighting
- A new storm drainage system
The 68th Ave NE Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements project began in March 2021 and will finish in late summer 2022.
Current construction activity:
- Motorists are encouraged to use alternate north-south routes, such as 61st Pl NE and 73rd Ave NE during construction. Please see our detour map for reference.
- The contractor is focusing on construction within Segment 2 (68th Ave NE between NE 190th St and NE 195th St), Segment 3 (68th Ave NE between NE 195th St and NE 198th St), and Segment 4 (NE 202nd St between NE 198th St and 66th Ave NE). Planned improvements will include sidewalks, curbs and gutters, bike lanes, drainage work, retaining walls, and underground stormwater improvements. The contractor anticipates completing work in Segments 2, 3, and 4 by the end of summer 2022.
- Construction utility relocation work continues in the 68th Ave NE - NE 202nd St corridor. Utility relocations include Puget Sound Energy (PSE) Electric, PSE Gas, Comcast and Frontier. Periodic lane closures will be implemented as needed to safely conduct the work. Planned water and sanitary sewer relocations will be completed later, concurrently with the city’s construction contract through an interlocal agreement with Northshore Utility District.
General construction activity overview:
- Typical workdays are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mobilization and some light work will occur before and after work hours.
- Segments of 68th Ave NE and NE 202nd St will be closed to through traffic (local traffic allowed) during construction. The remaining planned road closures include:
- Segment 2: Between NE 190th St and NE 195th St
- Segment 3: Between NE 195th St and NE 198th St
- Segment 4: Between NE 198th St and 66th Ave NE
- During construction, flaggers will be present to direct traffic and help guide pedestrians and bicyclists in the work zone.
- Pedestrian and bicycle access will be maintained throughout the construction zone. Vehicle access to properties will be maintained during construction.