View live footage on external link (opens in separate tab).
The West Sammamish River Bridge was constructed in the 1930s and is nearing the end of its engineered life. To ensure the long-term safety of our community, the City of Kenmore is replacing this structure.
This project will replace the existing southbound bridge across the Sammamish River and include the construction of new sidewalk and bike facilities on the west side of the road between NE 170th St and NE 175th St. The West Sammamish River Bridge Replacement Project will also include new signals at NE 170th St and NE 175th St, new streetlighting, utility undergrounding and new landscaping.
Construction started in March 2020 and will be completed in late 2022.
On Thursday, August 11 from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. come down to celebrate the new bridge and enjoy a fun summer evening of food trucks, fun, live entertainment and fireworks. For more information visit the event page.
Current construction activity:
- The contractor may exercise their option to work intermittently on nights, Saturdays, and possibly Sundays.
- Paving on the project will be completed by mid-August! The last bit of work, which was delayed due to the concrete strike, will begin Monday, June 6. During this work, you can expect:
- Lane restrictions on the northbound bridge starting June 6 through mid-August.
- Pedestrians detoured to the west (southbound) side of the bridge.
- Equipment parked on the bridge.
- Crews working extended hours and possibly weekends to complete work as quickly as possible.
- Paving in August.
- Lane shifts and restrictions: While the bridge is complete, there is still much to be done in 2022 to finish the project. There will always be one lane open in each direction as work continues.
- Lane shifts and restrictions will be needed while crews work on installing utilities, both above and below the bridge, bicycle lanes, and the overlook and pedestrian walkway on the west side of the bridge.
- There will be updated signal changes on NE 175th St that will be permanent during and after bridge construction.
- The speed limit has been reduced to 25 MPH throughout the work zone for the safety of the public and construction team.
- This speed limit applies 24/7 in both directions.
- If you see vehicles speeding through the work zone, please contact the City of Kenmore Police Department’s non-emergency phone line at 206-296-3311.
- Additional speed limit signage has been posted.
- Traffic and pedestrian safety:
- Please drive safely and be aware of bicyclists sharing the roadway and construction crews nearby.
- If you are using your bicycle to cross the bridge and do not feel comfortable sharing the roadway, please dismount and walk your bicycle across the bridge on the sidewalk.
General construction activity overview:
- Construction is expected to last until fall 2022.
- Erosion control measures have been installed per permit requirements.
- Dirt and dust may be present.
- Upon the project’s completion, established trees will be planted.
- King County Metro will continue to provide service through the project work zone; however, bus stop locations may change due to construction activity. For more information about bus service, visit King County Metro’s website.
- Boat traffic underneath the bridge may be temporarily be closed for 30-minute periods as permitted by the U.S. Coast Guard during in-water work. During popular community events the City will continue to work with the U.S. Coast Guard to determine how to best accommodate access. For more information on closures, please visit the US Coast Guard's Navigation Center.
- Nighttime access under the bridge may be restricted for up to 10 hours at a time during the summer months (see "Why will it take three years to build the new bridge?" FAQ).
- During July and August of 2021 and 2022, and periodically at other times throughout the year, the parking stalls on the east side of the boat launch lot will be closed and used for construction. Trucks and trailers will need to park in the available right-of-way on NE 175th St, west of 68th Ave NE.
- The parking lot on the west side of 68th Ave NE will be used for construction. When parking is unavailable, vehicles and trailers will need to park in the available right-of-way on NE 175th St, west of 68th Ave NE.